Sunday, July 3, 2016

MEET SISTERS, VONNIE AND LISA FROM MY NOVEL "BITTER HOMES AND UNKEPT GARDENS."

I asked the characters in my novel “Bitter Homes and Gardens” to give me some of their thoughts.

Vonnie:

Why does my family have to be so different? Why do I have to be so different? It seems no matter what we do people in this town want to talk about us.

They say my brother Jack is mobbed up. They say my niece Penny is a thief and a freak. The freak part is my sister Lisa’s fault. She insists Penny was born with a tail. What kind of a mother goes around saying her daughter was born with a tail?

I am very good to Lisa. I gave her a job; I defend her even if she usually doesn’t deserve the defending. Of course, I am not exempt from the gossip. My beautiful lover, Walt is a woman. We are lesbians, but most people call us queers.

Lisa:

I worry that Vonnie blames me for the death of her son. Louis drowned when I was supposed to be watching him. Lots of people think I drowned the child myself? Why would I do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment