Friday, January 9, 2015

Learning Hack of the Day: Watch Less TV

Decide to watch less television. When Ben Carson came home with a failing report card, his mother limited him to two preselected television programs a week. Carson's grades improved and he went from being "the dumbest kid" in his class to being the smartest. When he grew up, he became a famous surgeon. Note the wisdom of not giving up television completely. We need an occasional break from the books. When my husband was working on his Ph.D, he would watch “Love Boat” and “Fantasy Island” every week. These shows were brain candy after a week of hard study. When I was working my way through college, I watched one television program a week. I watched “Houston Knights' when that was on and then “Wildside.” Those of you who are sports fans can limit yourself to one game a week. If the thought of surviving without television is depressing, perhaps you have an addiction, and you need to work through this. Earlier in my life, when I was going through painful emotional times, I watched lots of television. It kept me from thinking about my problems, but my problems didn't get better until I turned off the television and started to work through those problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment